Individuals who operate mobile elevating work platforms (MEWPs) without authorisation or adequate training, or who knowingly misuse MEWPs, expose themselves and those around them to increased and unnecessary risk of injury. While employees have a duty of care for their own safety and that of others who may be affected by their actions, employers also have a duty to implement measures to secure the MEWP when not in use. It is essential that MEWPs are secured and managed correctly to ensure that only competent and nominated personnel operate the equipment in accordance with the employer’s safe system of work. All MEWPs should be stored in a safe and secure manner when left unattended.
This document provides guidance on how this may be achieved.
Further information on parking and securing of MEWPs can be found in:
- BS 8460 Code of Practice for the safe use of MEWPs
- ISO 18893 Mobile elevating work platforms – Safety principles, inspection, maintenance and operation
- ANSI A92.3 Manually Propelled Elevating Aerial Platforms
- ANSI A92.5 Boom–Supported Elevating Work Platforms
- ANSI A92.6 Self–Propelled Elevating Work Platforms
Ref: UKBL 06/14-001