Supply Chain Sustainability
The Supply Chain Sustainability School is completely FREE and allows you to access training in five different areas: Sustainability, Offsite, BIM, Lean and Management and offers you the opportunity to attend our training and networking events, gain CPD points, complete a self assessment and get a bespoke action plan, complete e-learning modules and various training resources. The School is for everybody working in the Construction, FM, Homes and Infrastructure sectors who work in England, Scotland and Wales.
We cover a wealth of topics from Waste & Carbon, Fairness Inclusion and Respect and The Modern Slavery Act as well as many more sustainability issues.
Join a movement
Join a global movement of businesses taking action on climate change.
- The Business Climate Hub:
The SME Climate Hub is a global initiative that aims to mainstream climate action in the small to the medium-sized business community and enable SMEs to build resilient businesses for the future.
- Business Ambition for 1.5oC:
The Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) drives ambitious climate action in the private sector by enabling companies to set science-based emissions reduction targets.
Adopt an Environmental Policy
An Environmental Policy sets out how you will address the environmental impact of your operations and communicates this internally within your organisation and externally to your customers and suppliers. Guidance and templates are widely available online:
- British Assessment Bureau
- Sustainable Business Toolkit
- Zero Waste Scotland
Business support organisations
Many business support organisations, with whom you may already be engaged, now offer some form of advice, guidance or events focused on sustainability and climate action.
- Federation of Small Businesses
- International Chamber of Commerce
- British Chambers of Commerce
- Make UK
Simple steps for all
There are many guides available online to help companies get started, many focus on simple steps to reduce energy consumption or are targeted at SMEs.
- UK government – SME guide to energy efficiency
- Carbon Trust – Better business guide to energy saving
- Carbon Trust – Journey to net zero
- Electricity North West – Go net-zero
- Love Energy Savings – 10 easy ways to save energy
- Business Electricity Prices – save energy
- City Switch Australia: Beginner’s guide for business
Find taxes, grants and business relief
Environmental taxes encourage your business to operate in a more environmentally friendly way. There are taxes and schemes for different types and size of business.
You can pay less tax by applying for schemes to help you demonstrate that you’re operating more efficiently and producing waste that’s less damaging.
- Climate Change Levy
- CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme
- Emissions trading
- Capital allowances on energy-efficient items
- Landfill Tax
- Aggregates Levy
This guide helps small businesses find energy grants, schemes and advice to lower emissions and increase efficiency.