Resource also available in:
RF is short for radio frequency. RF is any frequency within the electromagnetic spectrum associated with radio wave propagation. When an RF current is supplied to an antenna, an electromagnetic field is created that is able to travel, or spread through space.
WHO NEEDS TO KNOW?
This Toolbox Talk applies to all individuals involved with a Mobile Elevating Work Platform (MEWP) in an environment where there are RF antennas, this includes:
- Users – who have control of MEWPs on site
- Site Managers and Supervisors where MEWPs are in use
- MEWP operators/personnel in the platform
WHAT IS A TOOLBOX TALK?
Toolbox talks are short discussion sessions that allow you and your workers to explore the risks and safety issues specific to your work site. The talks should focus on a single topic. A toolbox talk should be a regular occurrence to reinforce learning and gain worker buy-in.
IPAF TOOLBOX TALKS
IPAF’s toolbox talks focus on key issues when using mobile elevating work platforms (MEWPs), as well as mast climbing work platforms (MCWPs) or hoists. The talks build on the safety messages highlighted through the Andy Access campaign (www.ipaf.org/andyaccess), and these posters will form part of your briefing. It is advisable that these posters be used throughout your worksite to reinforce your safety messages.
- IPAF Operators Safety Guide (available on the ePAL app www.ipaf.org/ePAL)
- HSG 281 Electromagnetic Fields at Work 2016
- Control of Electromagnetic Fields at Work Regulations 2016
- ICNIRP GUIDELINES For limiting exposure to electromagnetic fields (100kHz to 300 GHz)
- Manufacturer Operators Manual
- Andy Access poster
Toolbox Talk created with assistance from Network Safety
Ref: Toolbox Talk A33 | TE-24-EN-US-V1.0-2022-10-21