Resource also available in:
WHY IS SAFE FIELD SERVICING OF MEWPs IMPORTANT?
Mobile Elevating Work Platform (MEWP) field servicing often carries higher risks than workshop servicing. Risks may be increased by:
- Adverse weather;
- Remote or difficult-to-access location;
- Working alone;
- Machine position/configuration/MEWP type;
- Limited space or maneuverability;
- Limited access to tools and equipment;
- Limitation and access to cranes and other support for the task;
- Exposure to worksite hazards (e.g. overhead power lines, vehicle/person traffic, inclement weather conditions.
- Hazardous spills and clean-up;
- Hazards to others.
WHO NEEDS TO KNOW?
This Toolbox talk applies to:
- Field service technician supervisor
- User (who has control of the use of the MEWP on site)
- Site manager and MEWP supervisors
- Service Technician
WHAT IS A TOOLBOX TALK?
Toolbox talks are short discussion sessions that allow you and your workers to explore the risks and safety issues specific to your work site. The talks should focus on a single topic. A toolbox talk should be a regular occurrence to reinforce learning and gain worker buy-in.
IPAF TOOLBOX TALKS
IPAF’s toolbox talks focus on key issues when using mobile elevating work platforms (MEWPs), as well as mast climbing work platforms (MCWPs) or hoists. The talks build on the safety messages highlighted through the Andy Access campaign (www.ipaf.org/andyaccess), and these posters will form part of your briefing. It is advisable that these posters be used throughout your worksite to reinforce your safety messages.
- IPAF Technical Guidance – F1 Familiarisation
- Manufacturer’s Operators Manual
- IPAF Operators Safety Guide (available on the ePAL app)
- Andy Access: Safe field servicing of MEWPs
Ref: Toolbox Talk A27 | TE-1078-0821-1-en-US