Resource also available in:
Ground conditions are critical for the stability of the mobile elevating work platform (MEWP). Unsuitable ground conditions can result in the MEWP overturning with potential loss of life.
WHO NEEDS TO KNOW?
This toolbox talk applies to:
- User (who has control of the use of the MEWP on site);
- Site manager and supervisors where MEWPs are in use;
- MEWP operators.
WHAT IS A TOOLBOX TALK?
Toolbox talks are short discussion sessions that allow you and your workers to explore the risks and safety issues specific to your work site. The talks should focus on a single topic. A toolbox talk should be a regular occurrence to reinforce learning and gain worker buy-in.
IPAF TOOLBOX TALKS
IPAF’s toolbox talks focus on key issues when using mobile elevating work platforms (MEWPs), as well as mast climbing work platforms (MCWPs) or hoists. The talks build on the safety messages highlighted through the Andy Access campaign (www.ipaf.org/andyaccess), and these posters will form part of your briefing. It is advisable that these posters be used throughout your worksite to reinforce your safety messages.
- Andy Access Poster A6 – Unsafe Ground?
- Andy Access Poster A17 – Setting Up On A Slope?
- Guidance on the Assessment of Ground Conditions
- IPAF spreader pad poster and leaflet
- IPAF Ground Pressure Calculator www.ipaf.org/pads
- SFPFG Ground Conditions for Construction Plant