Resource also available in:
Information on, and links to, the Canadian regulations and standards for Mobile Elevating Work Platforms (MEWPs), formally known as Aerial Work Platforms (AWPs).
Canada’s National Workplace Health & Safety website - www.canoshweb.org
The CanOSH website makes it easy for anyone to locate Canadian workplace health and safety information, by bringing together federal, provincial and territorial resources all in one place. Conveniently access information from government agencies responsible for workplace health and safety, workers’ compensation boards, and the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS).
Jurisdictions and Agencies
Government agencies in all Canadian jurisdictions have a role in workplace health and safety. The regulatory framework outlines the general rights and responsibilities of the employer, the supervisor and the worker. Each of the ten provinces, three territories and the federal government has its own OSH legislation. The federal government has responsibility for the health and safety of its own employees and federal corporations, plus workers in certain industries such as inter-provincial and international transportation (e.g., railways and air transport), shipping, telephone and cable systems, etc. Approximately 10% of the Canadian workforce falls into the federal jurisdiction. The remaining 90% of Canadian workers fall under the legislation of the province or territory where they work.
Newfoundland and Labrador
- Service NL, Occupational Health and Safety Branch
- Workplace Health, Safety & Compensation Commission of Newfoundland and Labrador
Northwest Territories and Nunavut
Prince Edward Island
- Commission de la santé et de la sécurité du travail
- Institut de recherche Robert-Sauvé en santé et en sécurité du travail (IRSST)
- Government of Saskatchewan Labour Relations and Workplace Safety
- Saskatchewan Workers’ Compensation Board
Mobile Elevation work Platform (MEWP/AWP) Industry standards
The CSA group develops standards in 57 areas. CSA Group publishes standards in print and electronic form and is the B354 standards secretariat. Standards may be purchased at store.csagroup.org
CSA B354.1/.2/.4 were withdrawn in 2018 and replaced by the following suite of standards:
- B354.6:17 Mobile elevating work platforms - Design, calculations, safety requirements, and test methods (Adopted ISO 16368:2010, second edition, 2010-05-15, with Canadian deviations)
- B354.7:17 Mobile elevating work platforms — Safety principles, inspection, maintenance and operation (Adopted ISO 18893:2014, second edition, 2014-04-15, with Canadian deviations)
- B354.8:17 Mobile elevating work platforms — Operator (driver) training (Adopted ISO 18878:2013, second edition, 2013-08-01, with Canadian deviations)