IPAF can support contractors by providing a hub for safety, good practice, efficiency and technical know-how. Here you will find links to relevant documents, guidance, toolbox talks, and information to support contractors to work safely when using powered access. If you can’t find the information you are looking for please contact IPAF at +44 (0)15395 66700.
IPAF's Powered Access Contractor Forum (PACF)
The Powered Access Contractor Forum (PACF) is a safe space for contractors to talk directly with each other and with IPAF's senior management team about any powered access-related issues they face on-site. Forum meetings are virtual, held 2 to 3 times per year, and open to all contractors. The aim of the forum is for all parties to work together to resolve issues and improve safety. To find out more or join the group please contact email@example.com.
Are you ensuring your company uses legally compliant rental companies for hiring your powered access equipment? IPAF Rental+ certified companies are listed in the IPAF Rental+ depot list, they have all been independently audited and meet rigorous standards of training, equipment inventory and customer satisfaction.
IPAF Accident Reporting Portal
This is a worldwide reporting portal for incidents involving powered access equipment including MEWPs (Mobile Elevating Work Platforms), MCWPs (Mast Climbing Work Platforms) and Construction Hoists (CHs). You can report any accident or incident in the portal including near misses. IPAF members also have access to the IPAF Accident Reporting Portal - Members' Dashboard, where they can view an anonymised set of data.
Contractors can access a range of toolbox talks covering topics such as rescue plans, familiarisation and how to avoid common hazards. IPAF toolbox talks are available in a range of languages.
Andy Access Posters
IPAF has created a range of Andy Access safety advice posters demonstrating common hazards and good practice for MEWP & MCWP operators, the posters are all available in a range of languages to download for the website.
IPAF's Safety Campaigns
In March 2022, IPAF launched its new safety campaign 'Don't Fall for it!'. The campaign identifies key causes of falls from the platform and provides advice about how to avoid associated hazards.
IPAF's Safety Resources
All IPAF Safety resources are listed in the IPAF Resource Library, www.ipaf.org/resource-library, a few documents are listed here:
- Good practice guidance for reducing trapping/crushing injuries to people in MEWPs
- MEWP Catapult effect
- IPAF Safe use of MEWPs to manage trees and vegetation
- Safe Use of MEWPs in Public Areas
IPAF ePAL app
ePAL is IPAF's app for operators. ePAL enables onsite operators and managers to digitally store, record and share their logged machine operating experience and IPAF qualifications. ePAL also enables the user to be updated on the latest powered access safety and best practice tips and advice via their smartphone, and to access their operator safety guide or site safety guide based on linked licences.
Access to British Standards Online
IPAF members can access ten specific standards relating to the use of Mobile Elevating Work Platforms (MEWPs) and Mast Climbing Work Platforms (MCWPs). If you are a member click here to view the British Standards online.
- BS ISO 18893 Mobile elevating work platforms. Safety principles, inspection, maintenance and operation
- BS 7981:2017 Code of practice for the installation, maintenance, thorough examination and safe use of mast climbing work platforms (MCWPs)
- BS 8437:2005+A1:2012 Code of practice for selection, use and maintenance of personal fall protection systems and equipment for use in the workplace
- BS 8460:2017 Code of practice for the safe use of MEWPS
- BS EN 1495:1997+A2:2009 Lifting platforms. Mast climbing work platforms
- BS EN 280-1:2022 Mobile elevating work platforms. Design calculations. Stability criteria. Construction. Safety. Examinations and tests
- BS EN 280-2:2022 Mobile elevating work platforms. Additional safety requirements for load lifting appliances on the extending lifting structure and work platform
- BS EN ISO/IEC 17020:2012 Conformity assessment. Requirements for the operation of various types of bodies performing inspection
- BS ISO 18878:2013 Mobile elevating work platforms. Operator (driver) training
- BS ISO 21455:2020 Mobile elevating work platforms. Operator's controls. Actuation, displacement, location and method of operation
Keeping up to date with IPAF
Follow IPAF on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter, for the latest news announcements and articles. Please support IPAF by following the pages and inviting your colleagues to do so too. The social media channels assist IPAF to increase awareness of the new safety messages and campaigns.
IPAF and Industry Events
IPAF hosts and attends hundreds of powered access events across the world every year. Members can receive free and discounted tickets at many industry events. Bookmark www.ipaf.org/events for all upcoming events. To apply to become an IPAF member to access member events and discounts go to: www.ipaf.org/join.
Other useful links:
- Sustainability support
- Sustainability tools
- Machine specifications: www.lectura-specs.com
- Spreader Pad calculator: www.ipaf.org/pads
- Access Buyers Guide: accessbuyersguide.media/
- Total Cost of Ownership Calculator
- Combined Industries: Theft Solutions, IPAF is on the board and helps work to reduce the effects of crime on both the construction industry and the farming communities.