Resource also available in:
WHY IS SAFE ON-SITE SERVICING OF MEWPs IMPORTANT?
Mobile Elevating Work Platform (MEWP) on-site servicing often carries higher risks than workshop servicing. Risks may be increased by:
- Adverse weather;
- Remote or difficult-to-access location;
- Working alone;
- Machine position/configuration/MEWP type.
WHO NEEDS TO KNOW?
This Toolbox talk applies to:
- Field service engineer’s supervisor
- User (who has control of the use of the MEWP on site)
- Site manager and supervisors
- Service engineer
WHAT IS A TOOLBOX TALK?
Toolbox talks are short discussion sessions that allow you and your workers to explore the risks and safety issues specific to your work site. The talks should focus on a single topic. A toolbox talk should be a regular occurrence to reinforce learning and gain worker buy-in.
IPAF TOOLBOX TALKS
IPAF’s toolbox talks focus on key issues when using mobile elevating work platforms (MEWPs), as well as mast climbing work platforms (MCWPs) or hoists. The talks build on the safety messages highlighted through the Andy Access campaign (www.ipaf.org/andyaccess), and these posters will form part of your briefing. It is advisable that these posters be used throughout your worksite to reinforce your safety messages.
- IPAF Technical Guidance – F1 Familiarisation
- Manufacturer’s Operators Manual
- IPAF Operators Safety Guide (available on the ePAL app)
- Andy Access: Safe on-site servicing of MEWPs
Ref: Toolbox Talk A27 | TE-1078-0821-1-en