Resource also available in:
WHY IS CONTROL OF LOADING IMPORTANT?
The loading of people and materials is critical to the safe operation of hoists. Unsecured loading could have an adverse effect and lead to serious injury or death of personnel. This TBT provides information on loading hoists correctly.
WHO NEEDS TO KNOW?
This toolbox talk applies to:
- User (who has control of the use of the HOIST on site);
- Site managers and supervisors where HOISTs are in use;
- HOIST operators/occupants;
WHAT IS A TOOLBOX TALK?
Toolbox talks are short discussion sessions that allow you and your workers to explore the risks and safety issues specific to your work site. The talks should focus on a single topic. A toolbox talk should be a regular occurrence to reinforce learning and gain worker buy-in.
IPAF TOOLBOX TALKS
IPAF’s toolbox talks focus on key issues when using mobile elevating work platforms (MEWPs), as well as mast climbing work platforms (MCWPs) or hoists. The talks build on the safety messages highlighted through the Andy Access campaign (www.ipaf.org/andyaccess), and these posters will form part of your briefing. It is advisable that these posters be used throughout your worksite to reinforce your safety messages.
- IPAF Construction Hoist Safety Guide (available on the ePAL app www.ipaf.org/ePAL)
- Andy Access ‘Don't Overload the Hoist’ poster
- BS7212:2016 Code of practice for the safe use of construction hoists
Ref: Toolbox Talk AH1 | TE-19-EN--V20.0